Sunday, June 3, 2012

Brick Stitch Progress & Garb Quest


The Bulgarian-inspired brick stitch is coming along nicely, and will hopefully be done and in pouch form sometime next week.  I have some scraps of red fulled wool that I will use as the back of the pouch, and some scrap linen to do a lining.  I think I'm going to do this as a drawstring purse, so I'll also have to make some laces.  I'd also like to attach tassels, but we'll see.

I'm putting my pink wool cote temporarily on the shelf so that I can do more research.  I realized, thinking about how I wanted to proceed with the patterning, that I need to know more about all possible methods, and not just default to the draping method I've already figured out.  I had planned to work on the dress throughout June, but since it's more important to me to achieve authenticity, I'm not willing to sacrifice research for some arbitrary deadline.

I've realized recently that personal authenticity has become very important to me, but I have A LOT to do before that becomes a visible aspect of my recreation.  I often feel limited by my skill.  I do not know how much of what I really do know and have researched comes through on this blog (probably not enough), but I know much more than I can actually accomplish.  And that's pretty frustrating.  My Garb Quest is only the first step toward a more visible authentic recreation, which is why it's not just a fly-by-night pet project.  As the pink cote is the keystone to the entire outfit, I need to feel confident that I've made not only the most authentic choices with it, but that I've applied my best craftsmanship and skill to it.  I am, admittedly, a bit intimidated by my own plans.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this piece of embroidery and can't wait to see the pouch. I've gotten hooked on long-arm cross-stitch recently. It's just so fun!

    ReplyDelete