Sunday, December 16, 2018

Early 15th Century Women's Style Book

“The Book of the Queen”, 1410-1414AD, BL MS Harley 4431, fol. 123v
Six or so years ago, I started to get frustrated by my limited knowledge of women's fashion in the era I had chosen to recreate- Flanders in the early 15th century. Like many people new to the realm of historical clothing research, up to that point, I had been mostly relying on singular images presented out of context, or the occasional famous manuscript to try to give me a picture of what I should be wearing. The problem with this method, though, is that it doesn't provide overall guidelines to what clothing options were available to women beyond what existed in those single, disconnected examples. Much like with extant materials- you can't form a better picture of the forest if you've only got a small number of individual trees to look at.

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Project Complete: Apple Green Wool Cotte

When I left off, this dress was sewn together with the body seams finished. The sleeves were sewn on, and I had buttons ready. I had an issue with the fit of the forearms, so I removed the forearms to repattern those. The neckline and hemming were also still awaiting finishing. I also knew that I disliked how the back gore draped, so I needed to troubleshoot that.

Sunday, August 19, 2018

How to Invest in Your Medieval Recreation When You're Broke

This post was cathartic to write, but I didn't originally think I'd share it. I decided to go ahead and post it because I know I'm not the only one who finds themselves in this boat. If you're struggling to know what to do when finances are tight, I hope this post helps you the way writing it has helped me.

Earlier in the year, my family had an unexpected financial emergency, so extra money to put toward events and SCA projects has been and will be mostly non-existent until next year. Not having funds for my hobby brings into focus the reality that improving my kit, checking boxes on my wishlist, and attending some events costs more the deeper into this hobby I go. A new, better, larger tent will be more expensive than the used little one with some issues. A pair of custom-made turnshoes in the exact period style you do will be more than the mass-produced generic pair you can pick up at any given War. It's easier to make it to the more local, cheaper day events than to shell out the extra for gas, food, and camping at larger events that are further away. So when money is tight, it can feel an awful lot like the ability to keep improving has stalled out.

Sunday, July 29, 2018

My SCA Origin Story

If you asked me to point to the first thing I can remember that made me go, "ooh, Middle Ages," I'd have to say it was Disney's animated Robin Hood. Robin and Marion were foxes. Prince John was an immature lion. There was a catchy, buddy-themed opening song that I remember to this day. Friar Tuck had a limit of patience. Sir Hiss was (and still is) my favorite character.

Fan art I did recently of Sir Hiss from Disney's Robin Hood.

Sunday, July 8, 2018

In-Progress: Heraldic Coin Purse

A few weeks back, the photos by Marc Stopel from a recent 13th Century event, Brandenburgfest, came through my feed. One of my friends pointed out the fabulous Spanish recreation. Hanging from the man's belt was a small embroidered purse hanging from a long strap, and I was smitten. Within a few days, I was plotting my own version of this as the home for the stamped coins I use as personal tokens. I just needed a pattern for the embroidery.

Sunday, June 10, 2018

The Conflict of Deadlines

There are very few occasions when my projects have hard deadlines. These usually come up when I've made promises to others, and a deadline is necessary for their sake. In general, though, I set deadlines to put some pressure on myself to complete my projects. If I have in my head that I want to wear the thing I'm making by a certain event, it helps me feel excited for both the garment and the event.

Until this green wool dress came along. 

Sunday, May 20, 2018

In-Progress: Apple Green Wool Cotte

Something I haven't done for a long time is to share my dressmaking process as completely as possible from start to finish. Over the years, I've developed my methods, and they often repeat exactly from one dress to the next, so it's a bit weird for me to go into the details since it's mostly just repeating myself. This time, however, I had a few things I did differently, and it gave me an opportunity to more fully document the process for you.