Sunday, April 19, 2009

Rust Dress & Some Thoughts

We used the great weather day we had yesterday to go to the Nature Center and take a hike with Owen. When we woke up this morning, it was raining. Consequently, I decided to just have Dearg take some photos of me in my new dress inside. After taking a couple really bad photos straight on of me just wearing the dress, we decided that I needed something- hence the makeshift apron. No, I did not break down and make a new one. Yet. It's just tucked into my belt. Then, to avoid the "deer in the headlights" look I tend to get, I pulled out my embroidery frame to have something for my hands to do. There was a lot of laughter, and a couple more really bad pictures, but we did manage to get these two. The second one is what happens when Dearg says "make love to the camera".

I was going to wear my 14th century open hood, but it seems to have walked off and gotten itself lost. So I just did the standard hair wrap that I've been doing. It's a modification of the Flemish kerchief (uses the same piece).

As nice as these photos are, however, I think it will be better to have Dearg take photos of me wearing the dress naturally at an event. I'm more animated and usually have better self-esteem when I'm in garb for a real reason.

I fixed the weird thing that was going on at the bust (though there is still a little bump just over my right breast that needs to be fixed), so I'm wearing my regular bra. Unfortuately, I'm not getting the correct lift. I don't think I'll worry about it on this dress, though. That's an issue to tackle with the teal fitted dress. Now that my mom is mostly caught up with her projects, we'll probably start working on that again soon.

This winter has been rough physically. Though I was lucky to loose all my baby-related weight pretty quickly after having Owen, I gained most of it back just by being inactive these past few months. Now that it's warming up, Dearg and I are more likely to go out and hike, especially if it allows us to expose Owen to the wonders of nature. I want to be ready for a full week of walking around in August.

On a completely different note, I was trolling around the internet last night and came across Reconstitutions, a Fench blog written by a lady named Hémiole. She looks to be focused on 13th century, and has some great takes on a couple headdress styles, including my old favorite, the working class headdress.

Regional A&S is next weekend. Dearg is working on a recreation of the Birka Wallet (here's a recreation from Mikkel at Haandkraft). I've been trying to decide if I want to teach a class. I would teach my "Cover Your Head" headdress class, but, since this is an A&S event, I want to teach something a little more specific and scholarly. I've also been thinking about entering something, but I've slacked off so much in deciding what to enter, that it might be too late. I'm not sure I could finish anything well enough to enter it- I've only got a week.