Saturday, July 14, 2012

Some Resources for You: Phase 1

I'm starting to add some long overdue pages and information that deal more with research and resources than simply sharing with you the projects I work on. The projects & research obviously go together, but I sometimes feel that I get so caught up in the "how" of my projects that I forget to evaluate (and share) the "why". I can blame some of this on that problem we all have- forgetting that the things we know aren't necessarily the things everyone else knows. But I can't blame that for everything I've failed to share!

One of my original goals for this blog was to help you know what I know. I can't, of course, transplant everything I've learned and understood into your brain, but I can share with you my tools and show you why and how I've come to the conclusions that dictate the items I make.  I'm rolling these additions out in a few phases, and Phase 1 is already complete.

The first item in Phase 1 is a new page, called "Resources". A link is provided at the top of the sidebar on the right. At the moment, you'll find there my current research bibliography. I've got notes on certain entries to give you a bit more information about it to help you determine if it's worth a read to add to your own research bibliography..

The second item (which will eventually make it to the Resources page) can be found on Pinterest in a pinboard called "Digital Manuscripts". Links on these pins take you to online libraries with either extensive digital catalogs or several great image collections of medieval manuscript pages and miniatures. These libraries are AWESOME. Give yourself a good chunk of uninterrupted time before getting into searching these libraries. And be aware that not all scans were completed in high-resolution color. These libraries are a great source when you're looking for more imagery than what's easily located through an Internet image search. If you've been looking for something specific for a while, you've probably come across the same handful of relevant images way too many times. In that case, it's time to take your research to the next level, and search for new (to you) images. These libraries are where you go. Note: Be careful when using these images beyond your personal research. The museum probably owns the copyright on the digital files (think of them as photographs owned by the photographer). Always ask for permission before using in a public setting.

In Part 2 of my research additions, coming within this next week, expect to see a Links page specific to the links I utilize all the time, and a page about a tool I use for understanding how medieval clothing depicted in imagery can exist in the real world.  I also have plans to update my tags.  I've realized that having all headdress grouped under the same heading makes it pretty difficult to locate a specific type of hat.  And that just won't do.

No comments:

Post a Comment