Saturday, September 17, 2011

I need your feedback!

My new website is coming along fairly well.  I've had to stop working on it for long sittings so that we can get moved (admittedly I'm supposed to be packing right now, but I'm only able to do it in bursts).  I'm really excited about some of the organizational things I've come up with, and hopefully it makes adding new class notes easier in the future.  I've also been coming up with other ideas as I go to really use the web to my advantage.

Blogger recently updated and now I can track page views on the blog and see what is bringing people here.  I'm not surprised that Google searches are my number 1 traffic source, but what does surprise me is the search terms that are the top hitters.  Interestingly, 3 of the top 4 are topics that I have either posted little about or have to do with projects I haven't yet undertaken. 

I enjoy that this blog appears on Google (and there are some months when it feels like I'm all over Google- even under search terms I wouldn't think I'd show up under), but I do wonder if it's really to this blog's advantage.  I don't want to be exclusive, obviously, but I also don't want to inadvertently mislead anyone into believing that the information I share on this blog is anything more than my attempts at understanding medieval fashion for the purpose of recreation- not archeological research in the scholarly sense.  To that end, I find the links to this blog from other costumers' blogs (in blog rolls or links within posts) much more valuable in terms of my intended audience.

So, for those readers that come here often (and I'll let you decide what "often" means), please leave a comment to this post and let me know how you found The Compleatly Dressed Anachronist.  If it was a Google (or other engine) search, do you remember what your search term was, and did you use a website search or an image search?  If it was through another page, what page was it?  I appreciate any feedback you can give me- it will help me to understand the best course for future content and organization within this blog!

3 comments:

  1. Uh, hi! I recently started reading your blog. I think I found it when trying to research a 15th century v-neck gown (with google, but I don't remember what terms I used). I follow you through RSS on Akregator, so I'm not sure if it registers a page hit. And I stayed because I love seeing pictures of your creations, much respect for all the hand sewing you do (and the fact that you properly tag your entries for easy search)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I found you through a Google search for "historical reenacting blog" or "historical costuming blog" or some such. I don't do 15th century myself, but I enjoy reading about your projects and I now subscribe through Google reader.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your blog through a series of links on other blogs when I was looking for information on smocked aprons. I so appreciate reading about your research, your inspiration and interpretations of period styles.

    ReplyDelete