Saturday, October 8, 2011

Checking In

We've moved to our new house, but we've still got a long way to go before the new craft room will be together and I can get my hands on my projects.  In the meantime, however, some fabric swatches from Wm. Booth Draper arrived... and I'm in love!

My eye was recently caught by the pink worsted wool on their website, and I wondered if it might be a new solution to my Garb Quest underkirtle.  As soon as I pulled the swatch out of the envelope, I knew I'd found my wool.  The color is a perfect rosy pink- not too bright, not too red.  It's got a great weight, as well.  Some worsted wools can end up being really thin in order to achieve a lighter weight.  This pink, however, is a good weight, but is also a solid weave.

Problem?  It's not cheap.  I know from my blue test dress that going with less than 5 yards is asking for trouble, so to get the minimum amount, we're talking $100 plus shipping and tax.  That's less than I spent on the blue wool (which the pink goes perfectly with), but I don't have that much money to spend on fabric right now.  So for the moment, at least, this gorgeous pink worsted wool will have to wait.

I also got a swatch of their "light colour'd" flannel.  I was concerned that it might be too heavy for my tastes, but it turned out to have a great heavy-looking texture in a fairly reasonable weight.  It, too, is pricey, but it would make a great addition to my wardrobe as an overkirtle.  I've been looking for the right kind of dress for this pretty, but plain tan wool, but so far nothing has spoken up.  I think it needs to be slightly utilitarian, but still something that elevates the simple color to something appropriate to the middle class.  I'll just have to keep my eyes open for inspiration.

I am still ironing out the changes to my website, but I've been making some subtle changes to this blog to go along with that.  You may have noticed a new link to my "Garb Quest", located in the top of the right sidebar.  I realized that I really needed a place to put the overall garb quest concept, for my readers' sake as well as my own.  I've also created a secondary blog, The Compleatly Dressed Fabric Stash, which you may have been linked to if you clicked on any of the "blue wool" links in my most recent posts.

These changes are mostly for more continuity and to help you stay on top of what I'm talking about, so I hope they make sense and help!

No comments:

Post a Comment