Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Double Trouble


My new bundles of joy have finally arrived, and though it's been hectic and at times frustrating, I couldn't be happier. Lee (on the left above) and Kara are doing well and are healthy. Lee is about 2 pounds heavier than Kara. Owen is getting accustomed to them, though he's still not quite sure what to make of them. He's entered the "I'm not listening" phase, which has made things a little tough, but we're doing our best to remain patient.

We ventured out to Harvest Day this past weekend with all three kids. It wasn't the easiest thing, and I certainly exerted myself a bit more than I should have, but it's an experience we needed. Going to an event with a young child is hard enough, but adding two infants into the mix adds a whole new dimension of logistics that you don't really know exists until you test it out. We've got several adjustments to make to not only our set-up and take-down routine, but also with how we can schedule personal time into the day. Dearg desperately wanted to get to the archery range all day, but never made it. I got to the merchants once, right as it started to rain, but we had the twins with us, and it just made more sense for me to carry them back to our shade.


My mom made gowns for the twins, which are a bit large so they'll be able to wear them for a while. We used a christening gown pattern that worked out very well and looks very nice. We used a brown linen/rayon blend for Kara's and the same blue linen/rayon for Lee's that I made my v-neck gown out of. I have the pieces for their white linen tunics still sitting by the sewing machine- hopefully I can get those completed before the next event.


I was also able to mostly complete Dearg's new tunic. I haven't done all the contrast stitching nor the decorative stitching around the neckline, but it was finished enough for him to wear. It was nice to see him in a different tunic for a change!

As far as my other tasks, I've made the updates to my website (except for cleaning up the code on the main page), but that's about it. I decided not to create nursing garb, as we've found breastfeeding the twins too time consuming and difficult when not home. Instead, I pump right before or right after they eat, and we bottle feed the breastmilk. So I don't need nursing garb, but I do still need to be able to access my breasts to pump regularly at an event. For now, this just means that anything I wear needs to either lace or button up the front. I'm not sure that it requires any special type of garb beyond that.

I started working on my "Beyond the Burgundian" class notes by re-reading them and making some edits. I want the full notes to be highly extensive and informative, so for the moment I'm taking my time with them. I don't think I'll put them on my website when they are complete though, since I think I'd like to submit them to the Compleat Anachronist for publication.

Finally, you may notice that I swapped the nursing garb for a frilled veil in my project pile progress bars. I haven't decided which style of frilled veil I'd like to do, but I know that I'm going to raid Isis' extensive thesis for information on the topic and let her knowledge help me decide!