Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The Amazing Disappearing Woman

Believe it or not, I've come out on the other side of my twin pregnancy 55lbs. lighter than when I started. I've dropped 2 pant sizes (one for each twin, as I like to say), so I basically need a whole new wardrobe- which includes my garb, of course.

At the moment I've got a few items that fit well enough that they'll pass, but it's time for a closet clean-out. I'll need to first weed out the pieces I know either won't fit and can't be adjusted or that aren't worth adjusting. Then I'll try everything else on and get an idea of what's salvageable and what isn't. That'll leave me with a new project pile- all the stuff I want to keep that now needs to be taken in. I suppose I'll need to evaluate each of those pieces to decide if I'd rather just make a new one instead- I have a lot of pieces that have had their hey-day and probably need to be retired.

In the meantime, I've been plugging away at some smaller projects. I returned to work early, and didn't have as much of a maternity leave as I expected, so I've been working on accessories and the like more than larger projects. I've started my frilled veil (hand sewing all the frill edges is a pain in the you-know-what, but it's totally worth it!), and I finally broke down and started working on a German brick stitch pouch front. I'm using my heraldic colors and this pattern from A Stitch Out of Time. It will be a small pouch favor for Dearg, but I haven't decided what will go in it yet.

I'm still working on the under tunics for the twins, but I did whip out a hood for Owen last night. I've only been saying I was going to make him a hood for about a year now. I used black fleece and made it kind of tight so that it would stay on. It's a bit too tight at the neck for pulling over his head and it kind of scares him, but once it's on and he's used to it, he likes it. And it's just too darn cute.

I'll be going to Mischief & Mayhem this weekend with the kids, and since it's supposed to be on the chilly side, I've decided to wear my teal wool. It fits relatively well enough as long as I get the lacing as tight as I can, but since I've lost most of my gut and butt, the skirt is significantly longer. I don't plan on doing much walking, though. I'll need to experiment with headdress/goller combos to decide what looks good, will keep me warm, and what won't get in the way when I try to burp the twins. Ah, burping... always an important consideration.