Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Border Raids Recap

Took me forever to get the photos off my camera- sorry about that!

Border Raids was incredibly hot, but it was nice to get to at least one camping event before being stuck at home to finish out my pregnancy. It was especially nice because I was called up in court and received a Silver Oak for my research into period headwear! Companionship into the Order of the Silver Oak is the Middle Kingdom first level award for sciences, which research is considered. I felt a little awkward in front of Their Majesties because I didn't want to embarrass myself by kneeling with my big baby belly, but they didn't seem to mind. Unfortunately, all I remember hearing is Her Majesty saying "your classes are great".

I ran out of time before that Friday and didn't get all my class notes typed up for my 3-part class, but everything still worked out alright. I'm going to finish them and have them available for the women that attended the class. My mom had suggested that I look into publishing the entire class in Tournaments Illuminated or The Compleat Anachronist. Then someone asked me at the event if I'd published anything- to which I relied that I wanted to submit it to CA. So after I get the initial class notes completed, I'm going to send the abstract to the CA editor.

Despite the heat, I wore my new v-neck gown all day on Saturday (including court). It's only one layer of linen/rayon, and with my single layer linen sleeveless smock, it wasn't too heavy to wear. I would have been just as hot, if not hotter, in anything else I could have worn. The main problem I was having was that my hood kept slipping backwards. I think it was because I ended up using my St. Birgitta's coif on Friday to setup, and it got stretched out just enough that the weight of the hood's liripipe pulled it back. Note for next time- wear a fresh coif on the second day.

There are some obvious adjustments I need to make on my next try. The angle of the "V" in the front is completely wrong- it's more of a "U". I also need to plan my length a bit better- it ended up shorter than I'd like. Also, when I wear a placket, I need to a) iron it and b) pin it better to avoid the puckering I got at the base of the opening (you can clearly see it in the photo above). Overall, however, for not really having any idea whether I was doing it right while I was making it, it turned out to be a very nice dress that I'm sure will get a lot of wear.

I also wanted to share a few photos of Dearg. We're slowly working on making his new early Irish Norse garb, which started with a new pair of pants. They are narrow (though not as narrow as they should be- he prefers them loose) and fairly long with a drawstring waist. They are a medium weight linen cotton blend in a greenish-brown.

He opted to wear just his undertunic for the day (because of the heat), but with the addition of his accessories (note that he's stolen my belt since I can't wear it right now), he looked quite nice. There's nothing like a handsome man in garb!

So, I'll be offline for a while. I've got 5 weeks to go in the pregnancy (less if the twins decide to arrive earlier than 38 weeks), and I'm pretty focused on nesting and trying not to over exert myself. I do not want to end up on bed rest, but I'm also an "I'll do it myself" type of person, so wearing myself out is pretty easy to do. Once I'm on maternity leave, though, I can chill out and get some of my back-log class notes completed and online, as well as make some changes to my website as suggested by some of the wonderful people out there who have come across it. Thanks to all of you for the feedback.