Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I'm still here- sort of

Wow. Nothing like falling off the face of the earth for a while, huh?

I decided to take May off from events to save some money and try to get the house in order for the twins. Not that either of those really happened, but I really needed to step away from the SCA for a moment anyway.

June, on the other hand, is off to a swinging start. We will be going to Border Raids at the end of the month, since it will probably be the last event I can get to before the babies arrive. I've signed up to teach a three-part class series that I'm really excited about. I'm calling it "Beyond the Burgundian" and through the three sessions I'll cover garb and accessories specifically for lower and middle class women in the 15th century. In my own research, I've found that these classes are overshadowed by the upper class style worn at the very end of the century, and as my persona is middle class, I've got a vested interest in this information. That will pretty much wear me out, as I'll be a full 7 months by then, but it's worth it to teach a subject that I love.

In addition to putting this class series together, I've also got a few other projects to do. I accepted a scroll assignment, which for me is just the illumination part as I don't do calligraphy. I think I'd also like to get a new tunic for Owen sewn, as well as a new red linen hood for me. (At some point I'll update my project pile list....)

I'm also going to take an embroidery project that I need to do a fair amount of prep work for. Dearg and I have hashed out a new set of garb for him that captures his Norse-Irish persona. Part of the outfit will be a shortcoat with an embroidered collar. The embroidery will be pretty intense and large, definitely the largest and most complex item I've ever attempted, but the results will be worth the time and effort. Before I can get started on it, though, I need to draft it and figure out the design I'm going to do. It needs to be Norse in overall feel, but Irish in nature, so typical celtic knots are not quite the ticket. This will be a long term project- my deadline is South Oaken A&S next year.

I'll try to keep you posted on what's going on as much as I can. I don't currently have an internet connection at home, which puts a damper on updates.