Sunday, September 15, 2013

In Progress: Brick Stitch Pouch

I have a habit of creating embroidered things, then giving them away. Not that that's a bad thing, but I end up not having anything to show for myself. I guess it's the love of making things that causes that to happen. I want to learn something, or need practice to get better, but I don't actually need the thing that I make. So rather than let it sit around, unused, I gift it to someone with the hope they'll actually get use out if it.

This time, however, it's a little different. I'll be teaching a class on German Counted Thread embroidery in October, and as I was pulling the information together a few things happened. First, I realized that I didn't have any samples of finished embroideries to show. Second, I finally created a workable template to create brick stitch patterns on my computer, so that I was able to make my own patterns to share with the class. Third, I came across several inspiring projects that I'd kind of overlooked in the past. Obviously, I needed to make something new.

I've seen and admired "basket weave" brick stitch patterns for quite some time. In fact, if I remember correctly, my introduction to brick stitch was this bag from Diu Minnezit. Then, during the browsing for my class, I came across the Primary-Colored Brick Stitch pincushion on Sarah W's Most Peculiar Mademoiselle blog. Which reminded me all over again that I wanted to do a basket weave pattern.


I played around with the pattern, and came up with a version that I liked. I'm purposefully using blue, gold and white (pale gray, actually) because they are my heraldic colors. I figured that would make me less likely to give it away when I was done with it. The thread is Rainbow Gallery Grandeur silk, and the field cloth is 32-count linen.


I've run out of blue thread, so I need to place an order for more before I can get further with the design, but it does work up pretty quick. When I can work on it, that is.


I'm not exactly sure how I really feel about it. The 32-count is difficult to work the smaller stitches on, and every so often I come across a tight area that I'm pretty much just guessing on where to put the needle. I do have half a mind to finish this piece as is and maybe just applique it onto a regular fabric pouch. Then modify the pattern and try again. With more thread at the start. It's still to early to tell, though, if I'll end up liking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment