Sunday, December 30, 2012

Without Further Ado...


These past 9 weeks, I've created a slew of things, learned some new skills, started a bunch of research projects, and in general reset myself for the new year. I also spent time with my kids, figured out what makes them tick (at least for the time being), and worked with my husband to find a dynamic in our house that works for all of us so I don't have to feel bad about slipping off and working on all the things that interest me. I've gotten a handle on my health and mental state, and I'm feeling much better. In other words, I'm back on my feet, and I've dusted myself off. I'd like to thank you for hanging in there as I did all that. I truly appreciate that you care enough about this blog and the things I share here to not ditch me!

Medieval Snowball Fight ("January" fresco, detail) ca.1400,
Maestro Venceslao, Torre Aquila, Castello del Buonconsiglio, Trent, Italy
So what's up? How are you? What's on your plate, and where are you headed in 2013?

Personally, I'm not making plans. I'm not creating any more ridiculous spreadsheets with endless columns of projects and deadlines. I'm not organizing my fabric stash by color and content. I'm not littering my books with post-it notes...OK, maybe I'm still doing that, but I'm not creating a full year's worth of work for myself before the year's begun.

I'm going to get up each day and let my attention be distracted. Maybe I'll learn some new things along the way. Spot an interesting thing in a manuscript and spend a week researching it and others like it, without actually making one? Sure! I don't need to make one to prove I know they existed. Decide to weave some linen towels, despite the fact that I have no clue how to weave anything? Heck, yeah! New skill and new towels. Investigate medieval cleaning agents and stain-removing recipes so I could use them for my garb if I wanted to? Already started on that. 'Cuz why not? Might find a medieval recipe that works on the random baby-related stains I always find on my clothes. It's exciting really, not having any idea what next year will bring.

December from the Book of Hours of Adélaïde de Savoie
(Musée Condé 78, fol. 12v), c. 1460-1465
I do have a few items on the must-do list, namely my [over-hyped, oft-procrastinated] garb quest outfit, and new garb items for the family, and "must-do's" will happen throughout the year, I'm sure. I'm a Capricorn- there's only so much "unstructure" I can take. But these things aren't going to take over my calendar.

I worked on plenty of things in November and December, and I'll share them with you in upcoming posts. It's the curse of creativity- even when you want to take a break, you can still justify making things. That's a curse, however, that's not worth trying to break. Life would be too dull with nothing to create.

So Happy New Year to you and yours, and may your 2013 be full of distracting creativity too!

3 comments:

  1. Hello! I just found your blog, rather by accident, while looking for linen headcoverings. Then I saw your corny video, which brought me to your blog. You have quite a lot of wonderful things on here, so I plan on making you part of my regular reading list. I'm at ladyelewys.blogspot.com for my SCA stuff. The other is my mundane stuff...although like many of us, there is a lot of cross-over! Great to see you back in action and looking forward to seeing what else you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm so glad you found me, even if by accident, and that you're finding my blog interesting. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you're back. Best wishes for the New Year.

    ReplyDelete