Monday, June 20, 2011

Frustrated With Colors

It figures that the color I finally settle on for my underdress, Rust from Fabric-Store.com, is an impossible color to match. I need a silk yarn for the fingerlooped lacing. The closest I can locate is Rainbow Gallery's Elegance Silk in Pumpkin, which is much lighter than the fabric.

I also need silk thread for the finish stitching on the underdress. I'm completely in love with the linen thread I got from Wm. Booth Draper, which I've been using on the huvet, and that I'll be using for my (hidden) constriction stitching on everything else. They have a couple different red silk threads, and it looks like the closest match, the madder red, is available in the buttonhole twist. I'm not sure that the buttonhole twist is the best choice for the other finishing, though. I would settle for using a linen for the finishing of the seams and hems, and reserving the silk for the buttonholes and eyelets, but finding a color match in linen is proving difficult as well. Londonberry's Terra Cotta comes in a 50/3 weight, which would be suitable, but once again the color isn't a close match. The next darker, Redwood, is too red. Wm Booth's madder red in the linen is a bit too red also.

Then there's Au ver a Soie's Soie Gobelin, which is the perfect weight, but no one in the domestic US seems to sell color #614, which would be a near exact match.

Grumble. Grumble.

9 comments:

  1. Does it *have* to match? I've seen plenty of extant examples where it looks like the thread doesn't exactly match the cloth of the dress and where you can see the laces on things they generally don't match the gown. Different fibers take dyes so differently anyway, the odds of getting an exact match using period dye are pretty slim. I'd just pick something unobtrusive for the sewing thread and a nice contrast or neutral for the lacing and leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a local needlepoint shop? I usually turn to them for hard to find threads, and frequently they can special order items for customers, although they will probably have a minimum order amount for a special order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi- You're right, it doesn't have to match, and I'm trying really hard to tell myself I'm fine with that (everyone has a bit of OCD, you know!) I think I'm more concerned about a good match on the lacing because it'll be right out there in the front.

    Lorien- no, unfortunately I've only got "big box" stores near enough. I had that thought too, though, so maybe I'll spend some time on Google and see if there may be a suitable shop somewhere near enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It makes me wonder if my needlepoint shop has anything that would work for you.... I think I'll take my Fabric-store swatch page for a walk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really appreciate the help! Even if you could discover what color is the best match for the threads I've already located online, that would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like all I've got is silk embroidery threads, the Rainbow Gallery Splendor, and some esoteric one on a spool, that looked too thick, more like buttonhole twist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for looking, Lorien. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just order some of the ones I've found. I can always use it for embroidery if it doesn't match as much as I'd like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you checked out Eterna Silk (http://www.eternasilk.com/)? Not sure if they have what you're looking for, but they do have an impressive palette - I've used some of their silk for embroidery, and it's quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristin, I have looked at Eterna Silk in the past, but I forgot all about them- thanks for reminding me! I'll check out their colors this evening.

    ReplyDelete