Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Garb Quest - Stitch Tests


So I did some experiments with different stitches to decide which I'd like to use to sew the two halves of the huvet together. I started with the three I picked, then I goofed off for a bit. I don't know how period the basque stitch is for 15th century Flanders, but I figured I'd give it a try, since I was fooling around anyway. It's cool, but not the right choice for this project. I think the herringbone will do the trick, particularly the smaller version.


The trick will be, just like the regular herringbone stitch, to keep things even. I may have to employ some kind of measuring system. When I do it for real I'll be using white. I think I'd like to get some linen embroidery weight thread, rather than using pearl cotton. The linen would be more authentic.

For the time being, I need to figure out what I can do to get the pieces in the right spots to make it easier to keep things even. I'll have some time to figure it out while I'm waiting for the thread.

3 comments:

  1. How about stitching the two sides to a narrow strip to keep them lined up, then removing the strip once you have the sides stitched together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suppose I could mark out the measurements on the strip, too. That would eliminate the need to mark anything on the huvet itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pin them to a strip of paper that'll be sturdy enough to stay together while you're embroidering, but thin enough that you can tear it away once you're done.

    ReplyDelete