Sunday, January 23, 2011

Detour

I spent most of this past week working on a hood for Dearg. The outside is a dark crimson red wool and the lining is a brighter red linen. It's complete, though he'd like a little bit of decorative trim along the inner hem around the face. It's ready for him to wear, though. I've got some photos of it, but I'm hoping that someone can take a picture of him next weekend when he's wearing it at Better War Through Archery to share with you.

The black and white linen thread for my garb quest arrived on Friday- very exciting! We have plenty of beeswax around the house, so Dearg made me a little cake of it to use with the thread. The linen is also on the way, all but the lining for the fitted dress. I have some rust colored linen that I may use for that instead, just to save money. That leaves just the wool for the kirtle and hood (plus the thread for the hood), but that will have to wait until I've got more money.

I'm a little distracted at the moment by the idea of putting a period sewing kit together. Now would be the perfect time, since I have the perfect opportunity to use all the tools with my garb quest. It would add one more level of authenticity to the project. I'm still researching what to have (not so much because I don't know what tools to include, but because I want to pick the right things/styles for the 15th century.) I found this page from the West Kingdom Needleworkers Guild incredibly helpful for getting me started down the right path. Dearg's been doing a lot of work with antler, so I've asked him to make a few of the items for me, but I may try my hand at making them myself if he doesn't get around to it soon.

I've been reading many articles for my documentation, many of which aren't necessarily directly related to what I'm actually doing. It's nice to expand my knowledge base, though. I'm sure it's information that will become useful at some point.

2 comments:

  1. Could you put the beeswax into a small tin container to keep it from melting in the workbasket?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did come across someone selling later period sewing supplies that sold the wax with the tin. I'm not sure that a tin (of the variety you can get from the store these days, at least) is "period enough" for my tastes, but the idea of beeswax melting all over my stuff isn't pleasant either!

    ReplyDelete