Thursday, April 8, 2010

Update: Goller Finished!

The new goller is now complete. It needs a little breaking in (and I need to iron it), but it's a vast improvement over the old one. It looks and feels very luxurious, and when you consider that it's made of 100% wool, 100% linen and 100% silk thread, it has every right to be!

So here's how I did it:


1. I took the old goller apart and used it for the pattern. I originally came to the pattern I had by using a large piece of newspaper wrapped over my shoulders then cut to fit. Basically, it's the bottom of a hood.
2. I cut two of each fabric. I don't have an iron, an you can clearly see how badly the linen needed to be ironed before I did this, but after the fact will have to do.

3. I sewed the two halves of each fabric together down the back seam using a simple running stitch. Then I went the extra step to finish the seams so that I could get a nice finished look on the exterior when it was complete. It occurred to me after I finished this step that I didn't actually need to turn the seam allowance under, though.
4. Then I married the wool and linen together, right sides in. I used the running stitch here again, but didn't finish the seams.

5. After sewing the two fabrics together, I turned the whole thing right side out, then did a running stitch down the center seam to keep the two fabrics together at this point.
6. Then I closed the hole where I turned it right side out.


7. To keep the edges straight (not sagging or uneven), I did a running stitch around the entire perimeter.
8. I used the linen to create 4 buttons. they are only about 3/8" in diameter. These aren't very pretty (I don't make fabric buttons too often), but they work.


9. I marked with pins where I wanted the four buttons and loops to go. They are a thumb's width apart.
10. Then I sewed on the buttons.

11. On the other side, I attached a fingerloop braided cord (using the embroidery floss I picked up today). I haven't seen this method used before, but it's an elegant solution to a problem I always have with loops- they slide out of my stitching. This is stitched done along the entire length (except a the loops), mostly by going through the cord rather than around it.
12. The finished goller!

I'm going to leave you with that teaser. I'd rather wait to show how it looks on me until I'm wearing it for real with the whole outfit on Saturday.