Saturday, August 1, 2009

Back in the Saddle...Almost

Sorry I've been away for a bit. My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and after returning from New York (where the funeral was) I've been in a pretty bad funk. We brought a lot of furniture back with us, so rearranging our living room to accommodate it all was a huge priority. Our old TV shelf unit ended up in our bedroom, separating our bed from my "craft room". Unfortunately, we haven't cleaned the bedroom, and there are clothes and boxes and you name it in the way. I haven't been able to even get over to my sewing machine, and my fabric is all over the place. On the plus side, our living room looks nice....

So, I haven't really worked on anything all month. If I can get my butt in gear, that will hopefully change today.

I've only got one project scheduled to complete for the next event (Harvest Day on Sept. 4th), and that is my fitted kirtle. Since I don't really have a fitted dress to wear over it, I'm not sure why I want to complete it by then. Probably because I just need it to be completed, and with all the other projects, Harvest Day seems to be the best due date.

With only one project on the table, I'll have some time to organize my "craft room", make some garb for Owen, and get the stuff together for my newest class.

In addition to my regular "What to do with a Veil" class, I'll also be teaching "The 'Height' of Fashion: 15th Century Women's Hats". It will be a discussion of the various hats worn through the 1400's by upper class women, ideas on how to recreate them and advice on how to incorporate them into your garb. I haven't quite formulated what the class will actually be, but there may be some hat-making in my future.

On an unrelated note, check out Cristina's finished smocked apron. Like me, she chose a not-white material (hers is real linen, mine's faux linen), which I think is a wise choice- stains are a little easier to hides. She did a great job, and it looks great on her.