Monday, February 9, 2009

Not Bad for a First Attemp

I'm getting pretty good at these "first attempts". I spent the past couple of days creating my very own Saint Birgitta's Cap, and, as you can see in the photo, I didn't quite do it right.


I believe my error was in cutting it too short. After cutting the two halves using my old coif as a guide, I looked at the pieces and decided that they were too long. They probably weren't. If my hair grows out any more, the cap I ended up with probably won't fit.
I think the easiest way to fix it is to remove the strap, take out the gathers at the base, rip out the hem and add an extra 2 to 3 inches to each half. I'll have a visible seam, but I don't think that's a problem.
I had also originally intended that I would cross the strap in the back before looping it around to the front, but that left it too short. So I'll need to re-address the attachment of that after I add the extra length.
On a good note, I believe this is one of my best hand sewn pieces, as far as the technical aspects go. I really paid attention to my stitches especially when I join the two halves together, and all the way down the length of the strap. I would say that my hand sewing skills have definitely seen improvement.
I just have a ways to go in getting the item right the first time.