Sunday, December 18, 2016

In Progress: Red Wool Cote

Immediately following Pennsic, it was clear that I'd lost just the right amount of weight that my brand new supportive pattern wasn't actually as supportive. One the one hand, that's not a terrible problem to have, but on the other, it meant that I couldn't skip making some additional adjustments to my pattern before moving on to the next dress.



So this new dress is based on New Supportive Pattern Mark 2, which is tighter in the underbust and straighter in the center front seam. The result in a more defined trunk, but also a higher bust.

I had made the decision several months ago that my next dress should be entirely hand sewn. It's been a while since I've done that, and I'd like to move into doing it more often.


The wool is from Renaissance Fabrics, and I'm using red silk Gütermann thread. I also already made the buttons, and used red pearl cotton for those. I'll use Trebizond silk for the buttonholes and eyelets when I get to that point.


I'm using a bit of a different working process on this than I have in the past. I sewed the four panels together in the bodice area and shoulders first. Then as I inserted each gore, I finished that whole seam. Then I moved onto the next gore and seam.


I moved on to the center front opening before actually finishing the seams so that I could try it on and sew myself in, just to make sure everything was going right. Happy to report that everything was indeed going right.


It's a slow process, which at times feels like it's taking forever, but I'm quite happy with the look of everything so far. Better to take my time and do it right than to rush it! I'm aiming to have the dress completed mid-January.

I'm taking my regular holiday break, but the next month or so will be highly erratic on the posts. Between events and trips to see friends, it will be difficult to set aside the time to post here. Things should level back out in February, though. If you start to miss me, remember that you can follow me on Facebook, or now you can follow me on Instagram.

Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year, and I'll see you on the flip side!

No comments:

Post a Comment