Sunday, July 10, 2016

On My Worktable

I'm trucking along with projects this summer, gearing up for Pennsic. I've taken on several extra projects for others, but in between those, I'm working on the pieces for my new sleeping garb set. Here's a sneak peek:



There's a fairly good chance that the wool tunic that is part of that set will not be completed by Pennsic, but the shirt is ready to go. I slept with it on at home the other day to test it out, and I am very happy with it.

I have also cut out the pieces for a second supportive chemise. For this one, I will be shifting the lacing to the front center, and opening the neckline more to work better with my older dresses. There is a passage in Le Mengier de Paris in which the narrator instructs his young wife to dress properly by ensuring that her layers are properly arranged. When I wear my new chemise with many of my older dresses, I am thoroughly guilty of not following this advice. While my aim is to replace all the gowns in my wardrobe with new ones like my Deep Blue wool dress, I still have to work with the realities of my current garb library. It's hard to go back to the old ways of support now that I've reach a zenith, so adjusting the fit of my chemise neckline to play nicely with the everything is the best option.

Look, it's a silly styled photo. Interested in those playing cards?
Those are the work of the amazing Lady Heather Hall.
Before leaving for war, I hope to warp up my mini Ashford inkle loom with some pale blue wool my mom brought home from the SCA's 50th anniversary event to make myself a new pair of garters. I've perused the options, and I've settled (for now) on a pick-up heart pattern. Since I only have the blue, it will be a subtle embossed-like pattern. The chance that I'll actually be able to work on that at war, however, is pretty slim. There is always hope though.

Last weekend, I had assistance from to make a low bench-style stool. I had a plan, but the person helping me was the real brains behind the operation, and he made it better. Admittedly, he did most of the work. I got to use a palm sander though, and that was cool. I used the bench for the backdrop in that photo above, but it still needs to be stained. I plan to do that today, as it's perfectly sunny outside. It's only about 12" tall, and wide enough for my butt, similar to the benches seen in 15th century tailors' workshops (like the one below from the linen clothing page of the Tacuinum Sanitatis, c. 1370-1400), and inspired by this version.


Beyond all that, I'm getting my ducks in a row to do a tailor's display in September, which has prompted me to get my period sewing kit a bit more up to snuff. There's some research I need to get under my belt to go along with that display as well. As I get further along in my craft in this hobby, positioning myself into the persona of a tailor makes more and more sense. I have been greatly inspired this year by the efforts of Rosalie Gilbert, who does period display and teaching, and Lady Malina, who is a real life medieval clothing tailor, and I feel that striving to be counted among these skillful and knowledgeable women is a worthy challenge. My display in September is a step in that direction.

Alright. Enough chit-chat. Back to work!

1 comment: