I had a random piece of evenweave left over from the Counted Thread Embroidery class I taught at Coronation. Waiting for a file to load, I spotted it on the edge of my desk, and it screamed at me that it needed to be embroidered. Since it's not a big piece, I wanted to do something with a small repeat, and I knew I wanted to do a brick stitch piece that uses black as the base color. After a bit, I settled on this pattern from Taschen. I've only been able to pick it up for a few minutes at a time since starting it last week, so it's a lot slower-going than it probably warrants. I'll be doing the cross hatches in alternating diagonal bands of orange-pink and soft yellow-gold, then I think a khaki tan for the diamonds. It's 5"x4.5", so I'm thinking that it will become the front side of a 2-sided change pouch (with probably just a black wool backside). Maybe I'll try my hand at making some big tassels for the bottom corners.
All the pieces (except for the sleeves) of my orange linen fitted dress are finished and ready for assembly. I started one seam, a middle gore seam, but that's as far as I've gotten on that. I decided to use a heavy-duty thread instead of my matching orange for the sake of stronger seams. I've been having trouble lately with my machine-sewn cotton thread breaking and popping seams, so I didn't want to trust the weaker thread on this project. I like the gray- it's barely noticeable on the outside, and I like the finish it gives to the inside.
Then there's this beast. Which deserves its own post. So let me just say for now that I may have bitten off more than I can chew.
While I'm reasonably sure that I won't have the orange dress done in time for Christmas Toy Tourney on the 7th (though stranger things have happened), I would like to have a new winter gown that day. I'm eyeing the 5 yards of blue twill I've had since spring of last year. Something simple with a full skirt.