|Original Rust Dress, brand new in April of 2009|
|My first "showing off" photo of the Original Rust Dress|
|A look at the unfinished interior of the Rust Dress|
|Original Rust Dress in March 2010, worn while 4 months pregnant with my twins|
|Unfinished eyelets and nicely-made finger-loop braid|
|The Modified Rust Dress in February 2011.|
|The last time I wore the Rust Dress, in March of 2011|
I've, thankfully, grown out of looking at my past creations with such snobbish contempt. I've come to realize more recently that in this process of studying historical clothing I love, and learning how to create them myself (literally learning how to sew in the process), isn't worth it if I look at where I've come from with scorn. Those past attempts (and missteps) should be looked at now as a reminder of how much I've gained, and how far I've come.
The Edyth that made the rust dress in March of 2009 was insecure in her abilities, and bypassed craftsmanship for the quicker result, however flawed it turned out to be. The Edyth in 2011 that was embarrassed by her first attempt ever to make her own garb was a snob, and stupidly failed to realize that there were real lessons to learn from that dress, not just from its historical inaccuracies. My ego then was just a coverup for my insecurity as a sewist, and I still disregarded quality of construction for the joy of quickly having something new.
I have, for probably about 6 months now, really wanted to completely hand-sew a dress. I've been hand sewing the finishing since I started realizing how important that was about 2 years ago, and I always intended the items I make for my old Garb Quest outfit to be hand sewn, but I hadn't really wanted to do it. When I stopped and realized that this new orange linen dress was something of a redux, and homage to that rust dress, and started exactly 4 years after this garb sewing experience began, I knew this had to be the one. For all I've accomplished thus far.
|Hand sewing in progress on the gores of the new orange linen dress|