Sunday, November 6, 2011

Tres Riches Fur Hat

I don't have any linen for the apron right now, but in the process of setting up the craft room at the new house, I came across the materials for a project I've been meaning to do for over a year now- the black fur hat from the April page of Les Tres Riches Heures du Duc de Berry.

Now, if we're following the rules of research, it's pretty obvious that this hat is most likely a flight of fantasy.  I've personally never come across another hat like this (in this time period) and even in the Tres Riches calendar illuminations, it's a one-of-a-kind.  Doesn't stop me from wanting one, though!

Now that I've narrowed my persona down to about 1435, I have a renewed interest in headdress appropriate to that time period, even upper class pieces and fanciful concoctions like this one.  Plus, I found the piece of faux black fur in the remnant bin for only $3 and it's absolutely perfect!

I wrote out my thoughts on the construction of it yesterday, and I'm a little concerned that it might want to sit lower than the image, and I don't precisely know what to do about that, but I've got some ideas.  This is one of those nice prototype projects that help me think through construction issues and that's exactly what I need in preparation for really taking on my Garb Quest.  Even if it's a flop, I can learn from it, and since having the materials for it was a pretty random act of chance, I'm not really out anything for trying.

I'm almost done with the few modern sewing projects I've been working on (which I'll share when complete), so while I'm waiting for my order of linen for the apron, I think I'll make myself a silly fur hat!

1 comment:

  1. That is a fabulous hat! The feathers do it for me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the construction. It sort of looks like one of the doughnut-style turbans or padded rolls to me, but it's hard to tell for certain for manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete