Saturday, September 26, 2009

OK, maybe the whip isn't needed...yet

I got my events mixed up. I've actually got two weeks before the next event. But I still need to get going on these projects. I think I'll have the hood done by Wednesday. I've finished the most difficult part (handsewing across the front to secure the brim into place), and just need to sew the back seam. I'm debating doing that on the machine to save time. I probably won't because I did the rest of it by hand. My preliminary "fittings" have been good- it seems to actually be looking the way it is supposed to.

On the dress front, mom gave me the fabric I need to line the black linen I purchased a few weeks ago. It's a lavender linen that will add a nice feminine touch to the sedate dress I have planned. I'd like to do a simple purple and gray embroidered pattern around the neckline- nothing too fancy.

I asked mom to cut out the wool for the teal dress. She has waaaay more experience cutting out dresses than I do, and the fabric was such a huge investment for me, I didn't want to screw it up. The dress is sitting in its pieces in my sewing room right now (very exciting), but it will have to wait until I get the hood finished and complete the lacing holes on the fitted underdress. I'd like to hand sew the teal dress, but if it looks like I'm going to run out of time, I don't have a problem with using the machine.

I also now have the silk yarn I need for my silk belt. I've been trying to decide the best way to dye it. I want a very dark color. Initially, I thought I'd go for a dark brown- such as the brown I'd get from a walnut dye- but I've kind of changed my mind. I recently saw the results of dyeing with Lady's Bedstraw and iron. It produces a very dark gray (red from the bedstraw, darked by the iron), and I think that it's exactly the color I'm going for. I need to do some more looking, however, to see if there may be a different and easier way of achieving that color. I know for certain, though, that I'll need the iron to get as dark as I want.

While I'm working on figuring that out, I'm also trying to plan ahead for the next step- the card weaving. I don't have a loom, and my mom is usually using hers. I may need to ask around to see if I can borrow one.

Finally, I need to figure out what may have been worn under the hood. The hair needs to be pulled up at the crown of the head to achieve the desired shape (so that the liripipe doesn't just hang flat), so a coif or anything that leaves the hair low isn't going to do the trick. I'm thinking that in may be a bandana-like headwrap. I'll need to experiment once the hood is complete.