Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Black Tuesday

Stopped at the fabric store this weekend in the hope that there would be a Labor Day sale. Scored some linen at 50% off. I picked up 1 yard of white 100% linen to do two barbette/frilled fillet sets (one for me, one for mom); a 1/2 yard of black 100% linen to use for the lining on the black wool open hood I have scheduled to complete by the first weekend in October; and 5 yards of black 45% linen/55% rayon (my linen of choice for my budget) for the black linen dress I've been planning (something like this one from Medioevale Cibo Lotta). So I've got all this black material strewn about my craft space.

I'm going to be on the lookout for a dark grey or maybe even a purple to line the black dress with. Whichever color I end up with, I'll do a matching trim around the neckline. Probably a simple embroidered line or two. I'd also like to do fabric buttons for the arms.

If all goes well, you'll be seeing a handful of things from me through the month of September, including:
My Gothic Fitted Underdress (almost complete!)
The Infamous Teal Wool Dress (which is held up by the fitted dress)
A Black Open Hood
and
Some Walnut Dyeing Experiments

I picked up some walnuts at the last event and plan to do some simple dyeing to get an idea of how to do it. Not sure what I'm going to dye yet, though. Nothing too serious since I know from experience that I never get anything right on the first try.