Thursday, February 26, 2009
If you attend, please stop me afterward to let me know you heard about the class from my blog!
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
The closure will be a strap of a similarly colored leather with a buckle (bronze in color), and it will have a belt loop at the back. I want it to look somewhat slumpy, so I may need to insert a lining that holds a weight of some kind along the bottom inside to give it that heavy appearance. The leather is somewhat on the lightweight side, which will also help. I'm thinking that it will be about 5" by 8" inches overall.
Also, I've decided that after we get the garb for the three kids done (by Winter's End in two weeks), it's time to go back to completing the teal fitted dress. I haven't lost any weight since my gall bladder removal surgery, and I'm getting pretty tired of wearing the same dress. It's funny, really. I have 15 headdresses and only 3 dresses. I need to have at least one new dress for the summer, and the teal dress might-as-well be it. I'll need more than one, really, so the summer will be a fun time of scooping up all the wool I can afford to have dresses made for Pennsic War in August.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
Yes. 15. I have 15 headdresses. I know this now because I decided I needed to do a better job of storing them. I had a photo box that my husband abandoned, so I took all of my foldable headdresses, tagged most of them for easier identification, and stuffed them into it. Only a few didn't make it in, mainly the hats, circlets and a few other odd pieces. Shall we take a look at them all?
1. Viking Coif with heraldic embroidery (made by my mom).
2. Working Class headdress. Still needs to be shortened in the front.
3. Leather Heraldic Circlet and
4. Veil with fillet and barbet
6. Snood. I have two of these, this teal one and a silver-toned one. Both made my my mom.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Though the Saint Birgitta Cap is a 14th century item, from what I can gather, it was worn into the 15th century. By women. (Important point there.) So, instead of the "traditional" coif, I'll be using the white linen for at least one SBC. I don't have enough tho make two, so I'll have to come up with something else to make with the rest of the linen. Not as though that will be a hard task.
I'm not sure how to go about making the SBC, though. I think I'll employ a "hold up to my head and pin where I think I need to cut" method to get the correct shape. I know that the key to the cap is the straight line down the center where the two halves join. Here's a reconstruction by Joanna L. that shows the center seam done in a herringbone stitch (similar to the original). (Check out her blog, Maiden's Chamber, for more of her projects.)
This page has a diagram showing the basic construction. The diagram is from Medieval clothings and textiles vol. 4., which goes into detail about the cap. I have trouble figuring out the curve on diagrams like this. I prefer to work with measurements, but, as I discovered with the open hood, measurements can lie if you're not looking at the three-dimensional aspect of the piece. This is why I don't make my own dresses.